Saturday, February 28, 2009

Leaving

I don't think that I've mentioned this, but I am going back to the United States next week. On Thursday to be exact. The reasons are many, but the main one is that I have a house in Portland that needs some work done and I need to be there while it's going on. All of my students are asking me to come back to Salvador after the work is finished, but it's hard for me to say if this will happen or not.

There's a lot more stuff going on, but I don't really want to get into it on my blog. I'll just say that I won't be writing any more stuff about Brazil after next week, unless I decide to move back here again.

So thanks for reading, I hope my adventures here have been of interest. I'll try to post something more, but can't promise anything since I'm going to be pretty busy getting ready to go back. Best wishes to everyone!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pedra, wow, you're finally going home. What a huge move for you. I could tell from the tone of your many previous blogs that the move was long overdue. It seemed clear that Salvador has been an interesting place for you, but that it wasn't your home. I wish you the best of luck as you head back to Portland.

I too have been feeling a lot of regrets about staying here, mostly due to the frustration at trying to make some kind of feasible economic life. But looks I'll be here for some time to come.

Where ever you decide to be, I hope to see a new blog up about your next adventures. Best of luck on your next adventures.

lovelydharma said...

Well, I often wish I was going back - especially to the beauty and calm and creative culture (and good coffee) of the Pacific Northwest! Enjoy the next chapter! And who knows, maybe Brazil will just be calling your name again. Maybe someplace else too, less dramatic and a little easier. You know, I have to say everyone's blogs I read about Salvador really make it sound like a hard life! Seems like everybody there is just scraping by and frustrated with the crime. I imagine there must be something very alluring about the colors and feistiness of it. But as people used to tell me when I lived in New York, I'll visit you, but aint moving! Have a great last week and peaceful trip back!

Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...

Dear Pedra, your blogs have offered great insight to living and teaching in Salvador. I am moving to Salvador in November to begin my quest to find a job teaching English and give private lessons. I currently live in Seattle and on one had it is difficult to think of leaving the the beautiful Northwest and all the comforts and the USA provides. On the other hand I think it can be an enriching experience to be live another place. I truly appreciate your blog and hope that you continue to share your thoughts and insights now that you have moved and have had time to reflect. Saúde. -Kevin