Sunday, August 17, 2008

Things I saw on my run this morning

For those of you who don´t know, I have been running for about 2 months now. I run about 4-5 times per week, and as of today am up to 5K, which is just over 3 miles. I feel fortunate in that the ocean is a 5 minute walk from my house, and my running route is along the beach. It is a rejuvenating way to wake up in the morning!

Here are some things that I saw this morning on my run:

-Blue sky and sun! Woo hoo!
-The beautiful ocean :)
-A woman who had just bought her dog a coconut water, the dog was lapping water out of half of an opened coconut.
-Cops standing around trying to look tough
-3 people at a cafe sharing a large bottle of beer. Mind you, this was 8AM. I wasn´t sure if it was an early start to the day or a late end to the night.
-LOTS of other runners and walkers
-The weekly Sunday soccer games on the beach. Tons of guys come out every week to play soccer and hang out with their buddies.
-Construction, construction, construction. They are totally redoing the sidewalks along the route I run. This is nice because it needed to be replaced, but I am hoping that they will finish before the elections in October because otherwise the work will stop then and never be finished. I guess before every election there is a flurry of work that is started in an attempt by the current politicians to "prove" they are "doing something", but as soon as the election is over, all the work stops.
-The lighthouse at the edge of the bay- I run by here every day, but every time I see it I still think it looks cool.
-And finally, the lady that always sells me the coconut water that I drink after every run. Everyone here gives almost mystical powers to coconut water, in that it is a cure for almost any ailment. All I know is that I love to finish my run with one and the thought of drinking a cold coconut water is often the thought that pushes me to actually run as far as I do!

Happy Sunday my friends!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That sounds like a fantastic, interesting way to start the day!!

Leo said...

Love the post. I too believe in the reguvinating powers of coconut water. So natural, and crisp,and good after a long hot run. You´re gonna have to try and make it up Barra Hill to my house sometime.